Thursday, December 6, 2007

Potato Salad!



Quite literally!! I was stumped as to what to write today so I decided to post my mother's recipe for warm German Potato Salad. It is a bit time consuming and it gets somewhat messy when peeling the potatoes, but when you are done, and you take the first bite of this salad when it is still warm.....Oh My GOSH! It is SO yummy!!! I figured with the holiday just around the corner one could always use another recipe.

What you will need:
2 pounds Potatoes, cooked-peeled and sliced - set aside
2 hard boiled Eggs, cooled and minced
2T Onion, minced
1/2 pound Bacon
3T Sugar
1T Flour
1 1/2 t Salt
1/4t Pepper
1/2 cup Water
1/3 cup Vinegar

Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and fry in pan until crisp. Drain on paper towel BUT save 2T of the drippings. Combine sugar, onion, flour, salt and pepper. Stir into the drippings you saved in the pan. Gradually add the water and vinegar and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Add potatoes, bacon and eggs. Turn down heat and cook on low for 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are heated through. Serve warm. Serves approximately 6.

Now, when I make this I use a large electric skillet and I double the recipe, which makes quite enough for a larger dinner party or family picnic. I come from a large German family so there are never any problems with leftovers. I used to make this for special occasions at work also and everyone absolutely loved it.

I realize this is not about some new custom I discovered in Canada, it's more about me taking some of my history and life along on a journey to a new land. As time goes by I'll uncover exciting new things to share with you but it's a slow process and sometimes you'll have to be content with some of my life traditions. I hope you have a chance to try this recipe and, if you do, certainly let me know what you think of it.

Thanks for tuning in......

5 comments:

Gaby said...

Yummy!, Can't wait to prepare it!
Thanks for the tip! :)

WI_Jen said...

This sounds very similar to my mom's recipe (I come from a pretty German family, too). I am definitely going to have to try this one out.

Thanks for posting it, Doug!

Anonymous said...

This sounds really Good i'm going to make it sometime next week at my culanary class thanks for the recipie Doug.:)

Anonymous said...

This recipie sounds fantastic and YUMMY thanks Doug.:)

Anonymous said...

This sounds fantastic and YUMMY thanks Doug.:)